International Sessions (IS)
Background and Purpose of the International Sessions
The 37th annual conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ) will be held at Waseda University. The conference including more than seven hundred academic or technical presentations from various areas of robotics has many participants from industries, research institutions, and universities. This RSJ annual conference accepts English presentations as well as Japanese presentations. The majority of the conference participants are Japanese. Therefore, presentations and discussions are mostly in Japanese. For researchers whose native language is not Japanese to attend the conference and present their work, the RSJ will organize International Sessions in this annual conference. The official language of the International Sessions is English and all participants of these sessions including presenters, chairpersons, and audiences are required to use English. A conference registration fee will be charged to the participants in the International Sessions (the amount depends on your status, such as an RSJ member, non-member, or student). Short papers of a minimum of one page are welcome. Other than the relaxed paper length, the International Sessions will be treated in the same way as other regular/organized sessions, namely, papers will be included in the conference DVD and the conference digest.
Call for Papers
International Sessions, the 37th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan
- Date: September 3rd - 7th, 2019
- Venue: Waseda University, Tokyo
- Deadline for Application:
Noon of June 14, 2019Noon of June 21, 2019
- Deadline for Paper Submission:
Noon of July 1, 2019Noon of July 8, 2019
Authors are requested to follow the normal submission procedure and upload their papers electronically in PDF format through the conference website. The detailed procedure for submitting a paper is shown below. The fee for one paper submission is included in the conference registration fee. For more submissions, an extra submission fee is required.
■ IS1: Robotics x AI
Takayuki Nagai (Osaka University)
Takayuki Nagai (Osaka University) nagai[at]sys.es.osaka-u.ac.jp
（Replace [at] with @.)
Robotics and AI are getting more related to each other. In fact, machine learning techniques are involved in many robotics applications and many AI researchers are interested in the use of physical robots. The aim of this session is to provide an opportunity to have fruitful discussions on fusing robotics and AI in order to make the connection deeper and stronger. We, thus, welcome not only robotics researchers but also AI researchers to this session. In this session, any topic related to robotics and AI will be covered such as perception, recognition, learning, scene analysis, natural language processing, dialog, planning, and human-robot interaction.
■ IS2: Social Robotics and Human-Robot Interaction
Fumihide Tanaka (University of Tsukuba)
Fumihide Tanaka (University of Tsukuba) tanaka[at]iit.tsukuba.ac.jp
（Replace [at] with @.)
This session calls for submissions related to robotics involving human participants and/or any kind of social aspects. However, technological papers, not having results from human-participant experiments but aiming for a future connection with these fields, are welcome as well.
■ IS3: Robotics, Mechatronics and Control
Tetsunari Inamura (National Institute of Informatics)
Tetsunari Inamura (National Institute of Informatics) inamura[at]nii.ac.jp
（Replace [at] with @.)
This session is for all of robotics-related studies other than those covered by the other international sessions (IS1 and IS2). We welcome researchers from overseas institutes, foreign researchers in Japan, and anyone who wants to present and discuss his/her activities in English.
Paper Submission for IS
■ Application for presentation and paper submission
Each contributor must apply for the presentation through the conference website, and then upload the manuscript in PDF format．
Application for Presentation:
Noon of June 14, 2019 Noon of June 21, 2019
Noon of July 1, 2019 Noon of July 8, 2019.
■ Writing manuscripts
- Manuscripts for the International Sessions must be in English, and up to 2 A4-size pages.
- Please download and use the following Latex or Microsoft Word templates.
- For formatting your page, set the top and side margins to 20mm and the bottom margin to 27mm. This gives a space of 250mm * 170mm for your document.
- Use two columns in all pages except for the title and the authors' information.
- Please use 10pt font for the main text. The following guidelines are for the structure of a paper written in English.
- Title: 12pt, Roman, boldface type
- Authors' names and affiliations: 12pt, Roman (put an asterisk * beside the presenter's name)
- Main text: 10pt
- References: 9pt
- In the main text, each reference citation should be enclosed in brackets, and all references should be listed together at the end of the manuscript.
- Their formats are based on those of the Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan.
[number] author names: "paper title", title of the journal, volume, issue, pp.xxx-xxx, year.
[number] author names: title of the book, publisher, year.
■ Creating a PDF file
The submitted PDF file will be included "as is" in the conference DVD-ROM. In order to minimize the efforts to revise and reformat them by the conference organizer, please double-check printing quality, security settings, and all formats of your manuscripts before submission. Contact us if you have any inquiries before submitting your paper.
When creating a PDF file, the following guidelines must be followed:
- The file size should be less than 3M Bytes.
- Don't over-degrade the printing quality when reducing the file size.
- Since submitted files will be edited later by the conference organizer to include a header and footer, confirm that the top and side margins are 20mm and the bottom margin is 27mm, respectively.
- DON'T ACTIVATE ANY SECURITY OPTIONS of your PDF file.
- Please recheck whether your paper meets all of the above criteria.
- If you have troubles on the submission system, the cause might be file compression process in the PDF file. Please check the following operation to avoid the problem, or please contact email@example.com
[Notes for special characters]
- Please do not use Roman numerals and/or any special characters.
- Please spell-out any Greek characters.
■ Creating movie materials
- You can submit a movie file for a reference material.
- MPEG1 Layer-1 format is recommended. Please refrain from using particular application or encoder.
- The total size of the movie file and the main paper PDF file should be less than 4MB.